Admissions to all programmes in the department are handled through the IISc's online admissions process at http://admissions.iisc.ernet.in
Typically, the admission process starts in February each year. Students interested in applying for admissions to the department should check the above link for the latest information. The following are the requirements for the department's programmes.
Ph.D. and M.Sc. (Engg.)
Candidates for Ph.D. are required to have one of the following degrees:
- B. E. / B. Tech. or equivalent degree in Electrical /Electronics Communication, Telecommunication, Instrumentation, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering
- M. Sc. in Physics, Mathematics, Electronics, Statistics, Computer Science
- Master’s in Computer Applications.
In addition candidates must qualify in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or one of other applicable tests (see http://admissions.iisc.ernet.in). Qualifying in these tests is not mandatory but desirable for candidates who possess a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or M Sc(Engg) and applying for Ph.D.
Selected candidates are called for research interviews for both Ph.D and M.Sc (Engineering). See below, for more information on the interview process.
Candidates are required to have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology and must qualify in GATE.
IISc allows candidates to apply to multiple departments with a single application (but separate applications for research and course programmes). Candidates have to provide their program preference in the application. For the research programmes, immediately after the interviews, students have an option to change the priority order of the departments that they had shown in their application forms.
Criteria for Selecting Candidates for the Research Interview
The research interview within the ECE Department of the Indian Institute of Science will be held during June 2-6, 2014, for the purpose of selecting students for the two research programmes offered by the department, namely, the M.Sc. (Engg.) and Ph.D. programmes. For admission to both these programmes, the department is looking for applicants possessing a strong academic record.
Section I. For Applicants with a BE/B.Tech/Equivalent Degree
Candidates with a BE/B.Tech (or equivalent) degree can choose to apply for admission to either the M.Sc. (Engg.) or Ph.D. programmes. Such candidates will be called for interview for admission to the research program only if they possess a valid GATE score that lies above a cut-off set by the ECE Department for the year 2014. The cut-off varies from year to year depending upon the number of applicants and the number of admission slots available. It may also be different for different GATE papers. In the case of applicants from the different reserved categories, the GATE cut-offs will be suitably lowered. As an example, for research admissions in 2013, the cut-off score on a year 2013 GATE paper was 650 for the general (GN) category of students.
Note that marks or grades of applicants with a BE/B.Tech/Equivalent degree are not taken into account.
Section II. For Applicants with an ME/M.Tech/MS/M.Sc. (Engg.)/Equivalent Degree
Candidates with an ME/M.Tech/MS/M.Sc. (Engg.)/Equivalent degree can apply for admission to the Ph.D. programme. The following indicators of academic performance will be used to select the candidates who will be called for the research interview:
- Marks/GPA* in ME/M.Tech/MS/M.Sc. (Engg.)/Equivalent degree
- Marks/GPA in BE/B.Tech/Equivalent degree, or
- Marks/GPA in PUC/Class XII Board Examinations
- Marks/GPA in Class X Board Examinations
- Any other relevant information that is made available on the application form, such as:
- GATE rank or score, even if it is invalid,
- Award of national scholarships such as KVPY, INSPIRE, NTSE, etc.
- Awards and prizes in national-level competitions
- Score/rank in any other national-level olympiads and entrance examinations, such as JEE, AIEEE, KVPY, etc.
- University from which candidate obtained ME/M.Tech/MS/M.Sc. (Engg.)/Equivalent and BE/B.Tech/Equivalent degrees
- University or class rank
- Research publications in reputed journals/conferences
- Tangible evidence of high-quality R&D work carried out while working in industry
*GPA = Grade Point Average.