Department of Electrical
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560012, India
Office: SP 2.17
Phone: +91 80 2293-3385
Fax: +91 80 2360-0563
Prior to joining the Indian Institute of Science, I was an Associate
Professor in the Department of
Mathematics and Statistics at
- NCC 2019
Graduate Students Currently Being Supervised:
- K.M. Shivkumar (PhD) - thesis submitted and under review
- Vinay Kumar B.R. (PhD)
- Praneeth Kumar V. (PhD)
- Adway Patra (MTech)
- V. Arvind Rameshwar (MTech)
- Anaswara S. (MTech)
Past Graduate Students (at IISc):
- Manuj Mukherjee (PhD), graduated Oct. 2017; recommended by the ECE Dept., IISc, for the award of the Seshagiri Kaikini Medal for the year 2017-18, given for the best PhD thesis from the Dept.; now a postdoc at Telecom ParisTech.
- Shashank Vatedka (PhD), graduated April 2017; conferred with the Seshagiri Kaikini Medal for the year 2016-17, awarded by IISc for the best PhD thesis from the ECE Department; now a postdoc at Telecom ParisTech; previously a postdoctoral fellow at the Institute of Network Coding, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Varadaraj M.S. (MTech), graduated June 2018
- Anoop Jose (ME), graduated Feb. 2018
- Roshan Antony (ME), graduated June 2017
- Sanket Sit (ME), graduated June 2017
- Krishna Kant (ME), graduated Dec 2016
- Ravi Ranjan (ME), graduated July 2016; back to his position in DRDO, Hyderabad
- Chun Lam Chan (MPhil at the Chinese University of Hong Kong; co-supervised with Prof. Pascal Vontobel), graduated July 2015; now a PhD student at EPFL
- Abhinav Das (ME), graduated June 2015; now at Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), Bangalore
- Winston Fernandes (ME), graduated June 2013; now at Dell India R&D, Bangalore
Past Graduate Students (at Queen's University):
- Coding for Data Communication and Storage
- Information-Theoretic Security
- Source Coding, Data Compression, Data Synchronization
- Symbolic Dynamics
- Discrete Applied Mathematics (a broad umbrella for much of what I do)
(A slightly more detailed version is provided on a
- Postdoctoral Fellow (University of California - San Diego)
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering: Systems (University of Michigan)
- M.S. in Mathematics (University of Michigan)
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering (University of Missouri-Rolla)
- B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering
(Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay)
- Aug-Dec 2018: Error-Control Codes (E2 205)
- Aug-Dec 2018: Finite-State Channels (E2 214)
- Past courses at IISc:
- Error-Control Codes (E2 205, Aug-Dec 2017)
- Finite-State Channels (E2 214, Jan-Apr 2017)
- Information-Theoretic Security (E2 213, Jan-Apr 2016)
- Random Processes (E2 202, Aug-Dec 2015, Aug-Dec 2016)
- Information Theory (E2 201, Aug-Dec 2012, Aug-Dec 2013, Aug-Dec 2014)
- Information Theory and Coding for Non-Standard Channel Models (E2 213, Jan-Apr 2012, Jan-Apr 2013, Jan-Apr 2014)
- Courses taught at Queen's University:
- Matroid Methods (with a Focus on Applications to Coding Theory)
(MATH 978), Winter 2007.
- Introduction to Coding Theory (MATH 406/806), Winter 2005,
Winter 2008, Winter 2009.
- Introduction to Coding for Constrained Systems
(MATH 478/878), Winter 2006.
- Introduction to Real Analysis (MATH 281), Winter 2007, Winter
2008, Winter 2009.
- Linear Algebra (APSC 174), Winter 2006.
- Probability I (STAT 251), Fall 2006, Fall 2005, Fall 2004.
- Probability Theory for Electrical Engineers (STAT 356),
Mandatory Reading/Viewing Material for Mathematicians
The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics by Richard W. Hamming.
This essay was inspired by Eugene Wigner's original article,
The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural
Sciences, Comm. Pure Appl. Math., 13 (Feb. 1960).
- A Mathematician's Apology by G.H. Hardy.
The classic defence of (pure) mathematics.
A lecture video on How to Write Mathematics
by Paul R. Halmos, with an introduction by
(There was an article by Halmos on this topic available online at one point,
but it seems to have vanished off the tangle of the web.)
- I support Asha for Education,
a charitable organization working towards the education of
underprivileged children in India. I am actively involved with the